Advantages of being a tutor (application forms below):
- Great work experience
- Looks good on resume!
- Satisfaction of helping students
- Reinforces subject knowledge
- Flexible schedule
- Friendly work environment
Overall Tutor Requirements:
- Overall GPA of 3.2 (Learning Center requirement)
- Enrolled in at least six units
- Grade of A or B in classes for which you wish to tutor
- Copy of unofficial transcript (obtained by going to pvc-services) and completed tutor application (see below)
- Good communication skills
- Informal interview with learning center personnel and recommendation from subject instructor
- Able to raise awareness of learning center through classroom introductions and/or placing flyers around campus
English/Writing Tutor Requirements:
- Must have passed English 101 with a grade of B or better
- Must have a GPA of 3.5 or better
- Two letters of recommendation; one letter of recommendation must be from an English faculty member at PVC (see below for recommendation form)
- Must be willing to participate up to two hours per month with an English instructor (mentoring, clarifying doubts, sharing classroom information etc.)
- Interview with English faculty member
Math Tutor Requirements:
Math tutors need to be two levels beyond the courses for which they tutor. To tutor in Math 106 or Math 110, student must have completed the course with a grade of A or B. At least one recommendation form from a Math instructor must be completed (see below for form). Exceptions to the above may be made by a math instructor.
Tutor Application Form:
Please print the application below using MS Word or Adobe, then fill out and submit to the Student Learning Center.
Faculty Recommendation Form:
Please print the form below using MS Word or Adobe and then have an instructor fill in the faculty recommendation information. Submit to the Student Learning Center when completed.