How To Apply

  1. Apply online at or over the phone at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or complete the "Free Application for Federal Student Aid" (FAFSA), which is available in the Student Services Office (paper application). Use a pen with black ink.

    PALO VERDE COLLEGE FEDERAL SCHOOL CODE IS 001259 (Answer to question 101a on paper FAFSA)
  2. Do not leave any questions blank unless indicated on the form to skip or leave blank. If the answer is zero or none, put a zero in the answer space to that particular item.
  3. Print clearly in capital letters and skip boxes between words.
  4. Round dollar amounts, do not use cents.
  5. You must provide your social security number (SSN). If you do not provide your SSN, your form will be returned unprocessed.
  6. All students applying for a CAL GRANT must also complete a GPA VERIFICATION FORM. The form must be picked up from the Financial Aid Office and requires the signature of the Registrar. Also, your application must be postmarked no later than March 2, 2011, to be considered for a Community College CAL GRANT. California Community College students have an additional deadline of September 2, 2011 to apply for the CAL GRANT.
  7. Students may be required to provide a signed copy of their income tax return (and their parent's if dependent) to the Financial Aid Office, do not mail with application. Other forms may be required if the student or their parents receive non-taxable income.
  8. All California residents wishing to apply for the EOPS Program, must pick up a separate application form from the EOPS Office. For more information about our EOPS Program Click Here.
  9. Students should mail completed applications to:

    P. O. BOX 7002
    MT. VERNON, IL 62864-0072

  10. Awards to eligible students are made by a priority system, with first priority going to students with the lowest Estimated Family Contribution (EFC). Financial need cannot be determined until a Financial Aid file is completed.
  11. Eligible students will receive an Award Letter in the mail from Palo Verde Community College stating the amount of the aid to be given for the academic year.
  12. When received, make an appointment to meet with the Financial Aid Officer to review the award offered. At this time, the student may decide to accept or reject all or part of the award.
  13. The Financial Aid Office must be notified of any changes in the student's status, i.e., number of units, an address, telephone number, etc. It usually takes a minimum of about 4 weeks to complete the processing of your application, the FREE APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID (5-7 days if applying online).

*Request a Pin. This is your electronic signature for FAFSA and Renewal FAFSA on the web. Use the PIN to access your student aid history online and to correct your Student Aid Report online.

Citizen/Eligible Non-Citizen

You must be one of the following to receive Federal Student aid:

  • U.S. Citizen or National
  • U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551 or I-551C (Alien Registration Receipt Card)
  • Certain resident of Pacific Island
  • Other eligible non-citizens (for details check with the Financial Aid Office